Friday, November 04, 2005

re-write: orpheus

this is something older that i've been meaning to mess with for a while, and finally have tweaked it a bit.

Orpheus Explains

The lightning flash
kissed the tree into a skeleton
the way my lips wanted
to press yours into full bloom.

We stood on the hill,
ignoring how we shuddered
against the night;
discussed the mathematics of desire:
the splendid geometry of you compared
to the intriguing proximity of us.

Eyes touched lips
then found safer ground,
as we explored our chemistry
without stepping over
the moonlit line
we longed to cross.

We said goodbye
then hugged… ten,
maybe twenty times…
each kiss of our stomachs and shoulders
fractionally longer
and closer than the last.

The fog-shaped statues of our breath
divided the distance between us,
but I spoke to you
about my girlfriend;
one time zone away,
but not yet gone.

Your hands in mine, flex marginally
while I study their shape,
and I can’t look up,
must not leave their intricate design,
because if I do,
I’ll see eyes, hair, lips;
lips in full bloom.

No comments: